Monday, January 26, 2009

Karen Woehler Introduction

Reflections from the Dominican Republic

Greetings to all, This message is coming to you from the help of many helpers...dear neighbors!
I am a wife of my "HS Sweet Heart", mother and grandmother of men in the military, and member of the Presbyterian Peacemakers. I am a retired psych nurse. I am certified as a Lay Pastor in the Presbyterian Church, although I never wanted to pastor a church. Now, my "work" is finding a way to make good use of my resources in mind-body-and spirit.
The image of where I am sitting is one of palm trees and ocean waves. The story of how this came to be is a "God Story." Because of this background, I keep searching for what I was called to be and do in the DR. My husband and I have spent the winters in the Dominican Republic for the last 3 years trying to find ways to be a benefit to others. We live in a community where our neighbors are "unlawful immigrants" from Haiti and also very wealthy persons from around the world. The local town was founded in the time of Trujillo, by German Jewish people resettled at the time of WWII, there are many social inequalities.
As a teenager and then as a young mother I was able to travel from MN to the South with women of color, wonderful mentors who shared their stories with me as we traveled in the 50's and 60's for church activities.
The DR has a huge issue of race. Last week we had an uprising between the Dominicans and Haitians, they almost called in the US Army. There are also issues between the haves and have-nots...the "gringos" and the persons of color.
I am trying to discern what I am able to do in this situation. One of our drawbacks is that we do not speak Spanish or Creole or German or French, etc. Last year I was able to reach out and find ways to teach others the techniques I have to share from a program called CAPACITAR, http://www.capacitar.org/. This coming week I will be able to meet with some Peace Corps volunteers who are working at a local grade school. The local economy of the area we are living in is based upon prostitution and trafficing of women and children. I am trying to find a way to present my information of self-care and empowerment.
I ask the group to listen to me and my turmoil as I try to find a healthy way to share with others without damaging my mind-body-spirit. I call my self a seeker...I am aware that emotions do flood over me at times, I want to stay grounded.
Peace and blessings, Karen
CSJ Consociate