Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Carol's Jan. Reflection

The Consociate Spirit Statement is so powerful; sometimes I am intimidated by it, other times emboldened, always it speaks truth to me. Today my attention is grabbed by the words “move in communion with”.
As a dancer and activist, moving is an important part of the way I am in the world. I have a poem by Rebecca Wright Philips hanging in my prayer space: “Through the dance we learn/ to become centered, /to find balance,/ to fall,/ to recover,/ to risk,/ to stretch, /to leap, /to soar, and in some rare /and beautiful moments…/to fly.” Whether I am contributing to the CSJ community with presence or in committee work, whether I am caring for my parents and grandchildren, whether I am lobbying for healthcare or organizing for service to the neighborhoods- I do “stuff”. I am not a sit-on-the-sideline kind of person. I am a mover. My energy takes me into action and I enjoy it. The best of that action comes from my prayer-life.
For me activism, balanced with quiet prayer, is a striving to get closer to the profound love of God and the Neighbor. I am active with other people, not alone. I am so blessed to have found communion with the sisters and consociates who whom I unite in spirit, charism and mission. The CSJ community is the ground from which I move and the inspiration and encouragement to do “stuff”, even if imperfectly. In community I realize I am called to try, not necessarily to succeed. In communion with sisters, consociates and discerning candidates I don’t have to do it all, I simply must do that which I must do, as I understand God’s call.
Carol Gariano
Jan. 27, 2009